Illustrated Edition - Page 3.


August 16, 1894

The Press.

————————

ISSUED WEEKLY.

————————

R. C. WALKER, Publisher.

————————

ONE YEAR - - ONE DOLLAR

————————

A Fine Bridge.

One of the best steel bridges in the county has just been build across Livingston creek, two miles from Dycusburg, on the Eddyville and Dycusburg road. The creek is the dividing line between Crittenden and Lyon counties, and the bridge was paid for jointly by the two counties, Crittenden paying $1800 and Lyon $1200. Messrs. Cassidy and Vozier, commissioners on the part of Crittenden, were in town Monday to report to the county court. Two immense abutments of solid masonry were first built, one on each side of the creek, and each beginning on a solid rock and rising to a height of 25 feet, on these abutments rest the span of steel network, 100 feet long, the whole forming a structure that will stand for many years. The masonry was put up by Pat Sliney, and nothing more is needed to prove that he not only understands the business, but does it in a way that is a credit to the craft, and the commissioners who employed him. It is a superb piece of work. The bridge was put up by the King Iron Bridge Co. of Ohio, which company is represented by Mr. H. F. Ray, of this place, and he is one of the best bridge men in the county. A real good bridge has long been needed at that point, and now the hopes of the people of that section have been realized.

————————

Attempted Suicide.

Friday Mr. Claude Wheeler a well known young man of this place, attempted suicide, and but for the prompt work of physicians would probably have succeeded. Friday afternoon he went to the drug store and called for a box of rough-on-rats, stating that those rodents were numerous at his house. He procured the box and stepped behind the prescription case at Ormes; just then Mr. John Boaz, whom young Wheeler had told of his purpose, came up and he and Dr. Orme undertook to take the box from Wheeler, but the latter escaped out of the rear door, and swallowed a dose of the deadly poison. Doctors were soon giving him emetics, and in a few hours he was out of danger, and Tuesday he was on the street again. What determined him to take such a rash step is not known. His friends are of course gratified that the results were no more serious than what they were.

————————

Mrs. Graves Dead.

Mrs. Helen A. Graves, wife of Dr. W. S. Graves, died at her home at Dycusburg Sunday night, August 12, after a long illness of consumption. Mrs. Graves was a daughter of Isaac Shelby, and was born November 15, 1835. In 1852 she was wedded to Dr. Graves, and since that time the two lived happily together at the home where the good, true and faithful wife died. She was the mother of ten children, seven of whom are living, and have been tenderly caring for and watching over the sick mother for months. The remains were placed at rest in the cemetery at Dycusburg, a large crowd of relatives, warm friends and old acquaintances gathering to pay the last sad tribute of respect to the good woman, the true wife and affectionate mother, who had so long resided in the community.

————————

The New Superintendent.

Monday Miss Mina Wheeler executed the necessary bond and qualified as Superintendent of the public schools of Crittenden county. The law requires a bond sufficient to cover all school funds that pass through that officer's hands during the year; and according to the figures furnished by Superintendent of Public Instruction the amount this year will be $14,390. No officer in this county ever gave a better bond; the bondsmen easily represent $75,000. They are I. L. Wheeler, A. J. Hill, J. E. Dean, F. M. Clement, P. C. Stephens, J. P. Pierce, J. R. Clark, A. Dean, S. H. Cassidy and E. C. Moore.

————————

Sixteen teachers were examined at the last examination and certificates were issued as follows:

W. E. Wilcox 100
F. A. Casner 82
E. C. Wilcox 86
H. C. Word 65
R. M. Allen 85
J. W. Joiner 87
Cordie Wheeler 86
N. W. Paris 93
Irma Cain 73
Helen Boyd 93
D. A. Lowory[Lowry] 88
Robert Hardy 69
Edwin Walker 86
O. F. Towery 86
R. F. Wheeler 89
C. E. Towery 85

————————

Mrs. Lou Mitchell, relict of the late John Mitchell, of Harrisburg, Ills., died at her home in that place a few days since. She was a native of Crittenden county, and a sister of Messrs. J. H. and R. N. Walker, of this place.

————————

County Court Notes.

Theo. Vosier allowed $10 for services as bridge commissioner.

F. E. Tyner was appointed constable of Union precinct, and qualified with F. M. Clement and T. A. Harpending as bondsmen.

Messrs. Wm. Orender, Crow Penrod, J. G. McCain and W. A. Nichols were appointed road overseers.

The following hands were transferred from J. I. Tucker's road to J. G. McCain's road: W. H. McChesney, J. M. McDowell, E. E. Brown.

J. M. Brown and D. J. Brown transferred to Tucker road.

Messrs. M. F. Drennan, E. R. Hill, and the hands on the Misses Walker place, were transferred to Jeffrey road.

Hugh Givens, Lem Vincent and W. A. Nichols transferred to Jeffrey road.

————————

A Correction.

ED. PRESS: Several erroneous statements have crept into the papers lately concerning the Dunn Spring church, causing misunderstanding and prejudice against our church. Please allow me, through your paper, to correct some of them.

Three members of this church claiming sanctification, Bros. L. J. Milliken, R. M. Franks and E. T. Franklin, have been excluded from our church, but not until after they had joined Hurricane church. Would sensible people expect us to still claim as members of our church, those who have joined another of different faith and order?

A Member of Dunn Spring.

————————

State Sunday School Convention.

The State Sunday school Convention will meet at Russellville, Ky. Aug. 28-30. The rail road fare will be one fare for the round trip, which will be $3 from Marion. I hope every officer and teacher who can, will go. This will be one of the best conventions we have ever had. It will cost but little and be near to us. Let us send up a good delegation. Send your name to me at once so that I can secure free entertainment for you.

JAMES F. PRICE.

————————

The Institute.

The Crittenden county Teachers Institute convenes in Marion Tuesday next. Prof. Shipps, of Glasgow, will have charge of the exercises as conductor, and as we have a most excellent set of teachers it may be presumed that he will have plain sailing. On Wednesday School Law will be discussed and the Superintendent is very desirous that the trustees be in attendance, especially that day.

————————

Camp-meeting is in progress at Piney. This is the 84th annual meeting that has been held at that place. In 1813 the Cumberland Presbyterians built a house of worship at that place, among the first houses built by that denomination. the birthplace and early struggles of Cumberland Presbyterianism was in this section.

At Nunn's switch Saturday there was a little misunderstanding between Joe Hollowell and Thos. Morgan. The bullet cut through Hollowell's clothing, hit a Mr. Vinson on the shin and passed through the clothing of Mrs. Jesse Brantley. The knife struck Morgan on the arm. No serious damage to anybody.

Monday county clerk Woods received a letter from a DeKoven man asking if marriage license had been issued to certain parties, saying that the woman in the case was his wife, who had skipped with the man named July 10th.

Rev. T. S. Love, of Marshall, Mo., now preaching at Piney Fork camp-meeting, will preach at the C. P. church in Marion the third Sunday and Sunday evening in August (next Sunday.) Sacramental meeting at the morning services.

The board of town Trustees met Monday evening and directed the building of certain side-walks. In this very necessary and comparatively inexpensive improvement of the town the citizens should up-hold the hands of the Trustees.

Mrs. Shoemaker, mother of Mr. P. E. Shoemaker, died at her son's home Friday. She was at the time of her death, the oldest woman in the county.

Mr. James Blue, of Union county, came over Monday to spend a few days with his brother, Hon. John W. Blue, at Crittenden Springs.

P. E. Cook has sold the Marion and Shady Grove mail contract to Wm. Hunt.

R. N. Dorr Jr., has been promoted to a position to the O. V. office at Henderson.

Mr. D. E. Woods, of Memphis, is with his friends at this place for a short time.

Thomas Cochran and Mrs. J. G. Rochester are visiting relatives at Enfield, Ills.

Miss Florence Stewart, of Smithland, is the guest of Miss Lemah Barnes.

Mrs. Morgan Swope was the guest of friends in Henderson last week.

The infant of Mr. M. H. Sanders died Monday night.

Miss Elvah Crider is organizing a private school.

Mrs. L. Miles will teach a private school next fall.

————————

REV. W. R. GIBBS,

Is a native of Crittenden county, and for years he has been preaching to the people. He has worked his way from the bottom, and has reached a point in an honorable, laborious career, where he has the esteem and respect of the people of Crittenden county. He began life without the advantages so many people have, and without money or influential friends he has gradually risen as a citizen and in the pulpit until he is the peer of any man in the county. He has charge of some of the best churches, and under his teaching the cause of the Master has prospered. He is not only appreciated in the pulpit, but as a citizen, one who realizes all the responsibilities of citizenship, he comes up to the mark of responsibility in every instance, and it is such careers as his that encourages the struggling young and adds luster to the pages of [t]he history of a country.

————————

On the 28th of July Caldwell Springs church celebrated her fiftieth anniversary with appropriate services and ceremonies. One of the interesting features was the reading of a historical sketch of the founding and growth of the church. In the spring of 1804 Rev. Jos. A. Rayner, the first missionary employed by the Little River Association, gathered a few citizens into a school house and held a successful meeting. Several people were converted and the few Baptists in the community took courage, and on the 31st day of May, 1844, with Elders Willis Champion, Colin Hodge[,] Clayburn Wilson and J. W. Mansfield, as a presbytery, the necessary steps were taken in the organization of the church, and sixteen persons presented letters from sister churches. The sixteen charter members were, Wm. Layton, Jacob Coon, Samuel Coon, Thos. Coon, A. B. Perkins, Danl Lear, Elijah Duncan, Elizabeth Brasher, Rachel Campbell, Sarah Coon, Mary Coon, Lilly Layton, Margaret Hanby and Jemima Hanby. At the first regular meeting after the organization, Elder Collin Hodge was called to preach to the new church and he served from 1844 to 1859. In 1844 the church became a part of Little River Association, and among the first resolutions offered by this church was this:

"Resolved, That we do all in our power to suppress the sale and traffic in ardent spirits."

Jacob Coon and Jacob Green were elected first deacons. In 1849 the church "liberated its first preacher, D. T. Clark, to exercise his gifts in the bounds of the church," and this year one member was charged with drunkenness and suspended for one year. In 1850, as an outgrowth of this church, a church was organized at Cookseyville. In 1852 the church made the first record, "agreeing to send up contributions for missions." In 1853 a great revival was experienced and D. W. Green was granted the privilege of holding "a meeting near Bro. Jas. Summers', in Livingston county, where a considerable revival was enjoyed, which led to the constitution of Pinckneyville church in 1853. In 1854 the pastor was engaged for two, instead of one Sabbath in each month. In the same year a number of members were lettered to go into White Sulphur Springs church. In 1856 Bro. B. W. Bennett was elected deacon. In 1858 a new house was built. In 1859 the man who had so long served as pastor declined to serve longer, and T. B. Rushing was elected, and Elder J. E. Grace was employed for one Sunday in each month. In 1861 Eld. Grace succeeded Elder Rushing as pastor. In 1862 Wilson Travis and H. G. Turley were elected deacons, and Little River Association met with the church. In 1864 Elder Collin Hodge again became the pastor and served until 1886. In '65 John O'Bryan and George Beans were elected deacons. In '67 Jas. Mills was licensed to preach. In '70 H. W. Oliver and J. M. Klapp were made deacons. In 1874 members were lettered off to organize Dycusburg church, and in the same year W. H. Koon, S. C. Bennett and J. P. Pierce were elected deacons. In 1886 elder T. C. Carter became pastor and served until 1890, and was succeeded by Eld. W. R. Gibbs, who served until '91, when J. W. Oliver was called and served for one year, and then Elder Gibbs was recalled and is at present the pastor.

————————

Rev. Chappell, of Paducah, will preach at Crittenden Springs Hotel next Sunday morning, and at the Tabernacle at 4 o'clock in the afternoon.

————————

John Hatcher, or Blue as he was sometimes called, an old negro, died on the farm of A. H. Cardin Sunday night. He was seventy years old.

————————

H. A. HAYNES,

The clerk of the circuit court was born and raised in Marion, and he clings to old Crittenden with all the love one bears a native land. He attended the schools of Marion, thus equipping himself for the duties of life, while his work on the farm and in the store room gave him a taste of labor, and a business experience that has proven invaluable to his subsequent career. As an officer he makes duty his first and the people have acknowledged his ability by electing him continuously since 1880 after he had served as deputy for one year. Precious to his entering the official position he still holds, he had been engaged in fire insurance and has kept a large list adding many to his former list as he represents leading companies in fire as well as some of the best established and most reputable life companies, but still makes fire insurance his specialty. Noted as a wide-awake live business man, no dust is allowed to accumulate on his undertakings, for prompt and energetic is he in every interest entrusted in his care. He has prospered in his business, the sure result of an indomitable will, careful management and close application. He is a strong Republican and works for the good of his party, but is well liked by all, having a host of friends. He is prompt and honorable in all his transactions, active and energetic in the prosecution of his business. His large operations and widely spread popularity are but the out growth of these sterling qualities, which ever lead to success in public office or private business. As a court clerk Mr. Haynes has no superior, and as such the people have show[n] their appreciation by repeatedly electing him to the Circuit Clerkship.

————————

REV. J. F. PRICE.

James F. Price was born in Crittenden county in 1853. His parents, only one of whom is now living--his mother--were also natives of the county. His grand parents came from North Carolina. Mr. Price was educated in the schools of Crittenden county. At an early age he joined the Cumberland Presbyterian church, and became an earnest worker. Fourteen years ago he entered the ministry, and is now one of the best known men in this section. He is one of the most active ministers and assiduous workers in the county, and his unceasing efforts have been crowned with great success. The cause of christianity has been greatly advanced under his ministry, and that branch of the christian church to which he belongs owes more to him than to any other minister whose labors were confined to this section. He was instrumental in building the new church at Sugar Grove, and during his ministry the membership was greatly increased. The Piney Fork church has more than doubled its membership since he became the pastor, and now there are over 300 communicants. Flat Rock has built a new church, Crayneville has a new house and a splendid membership, and the flourishing church at Marion and other places could be mentioned where the influence of Bro. Price has been felt for good. The Sunday schools of the county owe more to him than any other man. He was the leading spirit in organizing the county convention, and his persistent effort has placed the county in the lead in that respect. While he is devoted to the church and her interests, he is one of the most enterprising citizens we have, and he takes a deep interest in all the affairs of the county.

————————

T. C. JAMESON.

Marion has been specially blessed with good rail road agents. The first that came was soon called out of the office and put in our bank. Then came Mr. J. E. Brawner than whom a better business man is rarely seen, and a citizen of excellence, he was succeeded by other pleasant gentlemen, and last January the present popular agent took charge of the office, and the more you know of him in all relations, as a business man, socially, as a citizen or as a friend, the more you will appreciate him. He was born in Hart county, Ky., Feby. 23, 1852. In 1881 he completed his school life from St. Mary's College, and began working for the L. & N. rail road as confident[i]al clerk to the General Superintendent. He held that position for some years, and then accepted a similar place with the East Tennessee Virginia and Georgia road. Later he went to Texas and was with the A. T. & S. F. road four years. He is an excellent short hand writer and while in the West did some responsible work for the courts. After returning from Texas, he worked for the L. & N. again, and then for the C. O. & S. W. while it had control of the O. V., and has been with the O. V. every since that date, and Marion was fortunate in getting him. He keeps the depot in splendid shape, is courteous and kind to those who have business with the road, popular with our business men and shippers. His promptness and thorough acquaintance with every detail of his business, and his obliging affable disposition have made him friends in Marion and the county.

————————

THE LATE W. C. CARNAHAN.

No sketch of the late W. C. Carnahan is now necessary. By industry and economy he made a fortune at Marion, built many of our substantial business houses and left an honorable name that will be remembered as long as there is a Marion.

————————

COL. E. W. HILL,

The above is a splendid picture of another one of our pioneer citizens. Mr. E. W. Hill is now 89 years old, and most of these years have been spent in and around Crittenden county. He settled on a farm near Marion early in the century, and he lives on that farm now. Full of years, respected by all, he stands cherrily near the end of a long and humble, but honorable career.

————————

CRITTENDEN PRESS.

In February, 1878, the Marion Reporter was founded by Messrs. J. J. Nall, R. H. Adams and James M. Clement. It was run under this management until October of the same year, when it was turned over to Messrs. C. F. Champion and R. C. Walker for "what was in it." At the end of the year it was returned to the owners with "thanks." Mr. Murrell Adams issued one more number and then there was no paper in Crittenden county until the 28th day of May, 1879, when the present editor and publisher of the PRESS bought the Reporter outright and began the publication of the CRITTENDEN PRESS. The first issue was a five column, patent outside, and it appeared without creating a single round of applause. The few people who saw it were kind enough to predict a brief career, a premature death, and an unlamented funeral. No one who has not nursed a country newspaper through the teething period could appreciate the early struggles of the PRESS to get a foothold in the county. But somehow the publisher had an abiding faith in the future of Crittenden county, and instinctively felt that, by and by, the people would appreciate a local newspaper. Fifteen years have come and gone since then. From a five column patent outside the paper grew to a seven column patent, and then to an eight column all home print. The first few years the subscription list ranged from 200 to 500; for the last eight years it has run from 1400 to 1800. Like the grown of the county the growth of the PRESS has been slow but constant, and to fully appreciate the improvement, it is only necessary to compare this edition with the first number.

————————

R. C. Walker

The editor of the PRESS was, like every other native of the county, born on a farm, because at that time there was no where else to be born in this county. This occurred Nov. 12, 1857. He lived on the farm, near Fords Ferry, until fourteen years old, when his father moved to Marion. He attended the Academy and later began business for himself as publisher and editor of the PRESS.

————————

J. C. BOURLAND, FOREMAN PRESS JOB DEPARTMENT.

————————

BITS OF INFORMATION.

In 1893 we produced 2,315,070 lbs tobacco.

We have a church for each 280 inhabitants.

The county has 76 acres of land for every voter.

We have 6,668 white voters and 154 colored.

The average price of land, as listed for taxation, is $6.50.

We have sulphur and chalebyate [chalybeate] water in great abundance.

There are three saloons in the county, only one to every 4,520 people.

Forty of the teachers in Crittenden have first class, first grade certificates.

Last year we had 8,481 acres in wheat. The '93 corn crop amounted to 600,000 bushels.

There are six Masonic lodges in the county; Marion, Shady Grove, Mt. Zion, Hurricane, Liberty and Dycusburg.

The Ohio Valley rail road runs diagonally across the county a distance of twenty two miles. It has six stopping places in the county.

Crittenden has had one legal execution; that was forty odd years ago, and one man has suffered death at the hands of a mob.

There are 67 school houses in the county. If they were all collected into a village and peopled with the four thousand children who annually attend school, wouldn't it be a merry time?

While the Ohio river forms our entire northern boundry, more than twenty miles, the Cumberland affords ample shipping facilities on the south west, and Tradewater navigable part of the year, takes out coal, other products on the east. These water highways affords the cheapest transportation in the world.

There are forty-eight churches in the county, divided among the denominations as follows: Fourteen Missionary Baptist, four General Baptist, one Primitive Baptist, eleven Southern Methodist, Four Methodist, two Campbellites or Christian, eight Cumberland Presbyterian, three Presbyterian and one Universalist.

Recently coal has been discovered in two places within three miles of Marion, and if the veins prove profitable we will have very cheap fuel, although coal now costs but little.

One of the best evidences of the fact that we have a good county, is the return of so many who go out to grow up with the country. Early in the spring a party of twenty went to California, all are now back except one family. Two years ago Manuel Stephens, Charlie Haynes, Sam Thurman, J. M. Cain and Ed. Haynes, young men, all sought the Eldorado of the golden gate; all are now back in good old Crittenden except one. Ex-circuit clerk, W. J. L. Hughes, went to Kansas and remained some years; he is now happier in Crittenden than he was in Kansas. Silas McMurry went west to come back, and is now a prosperous citizen of Crittenden. Mr. C. S. Nunn went to the State of Washington to locate. You will see his handsome face in this paper as an admirer of our plain, good old county. H. M. Cook sought a fortune in Tennessee, but somehow he was pleased to get back to Marion. Then there is Mr. R. E. Pickens, after a sojourn of six years in Texas, he again became a good citizen of Marion. Mr. S. F. Crider got back from Kansas a few years ago, completely broke; now he owns one of the best farms in the county. Then we might mention W. D. Haynes; he went to Kansas with his family, but he didn't stay by a large majority. W. B. Yandell, the dashing chairman of the Republican county committee, spent a few years in the northwest, came home and married and settled down in God's country. Scores of others might be mentioned, but these stand as living monuments, epistles to be read by all men, testifying to the worth of our county.

————————

M. E. FOHS.

The accompanying picture represents an interior view of M. E. Fohs' tailor shop, one of the latest additions to Marion's business concerns, and one that is rapidly growing into public favor. The proprietor came her from New York and commenced the business on a small scale. He proved to be a fine tailor and his work gave such general satisfaction that a few customers grew to be many, and now he employs three persons to assist him in the shop. He has an expert cutter, a man who thoroughly understands his business. He has filled his house with the best and latest fabrics in the way of cloths, and can give as good a suit as can be purchased from the city tailor. He fits perfectly, guarantees his goods, and does straight, honest work in the make up. His suits equally as stylish, fully as well made, and fit as neatly as any suit you can get from Evansville, Louisville, or Paducah tailors, while his prices are below those of the city tailor. Tailor made suits, or pants cost but little more at the start, than the eastern made store clothes; from the shop you always get a fit, and the clothes look better while you are wearing them, last much longer, and in fact are more serviceable in every way; consequently it is much cheaper in the long run, to patronize a first-class tailor, such a one as there is in Marion. Mr. Fohs cordially invites the people of Marion and those of the surrounding country to call at his shop. He will take pleasure in showing his goods, and the styles, giving you prices and will convince you that he does a superior grade of work. He makes the every day suits for rough wear of cloth and work that have the staying qualities, and they fit and are nice too, he makes the medium suits, and he makes the finest dress suits. If you have not been wearing tailor made clothes, drop into his shop on Bellville street, and have a chat with him on the subject of clothes, he has permanently located here, wants to make your acquaintance and may be able to tell you something of value.

As will be seen from his advertisement he will make an all wool pants for $4.00 and upwards, fine suits from $18.00 up.

————————

Word of Commendation.

MR. EDITOR:--Please allow us to say that J. B. McNeely, by a unanimous vote of the patrons of Lone Star School District, has been selected to teach our school. This is his home district, and will make his ninth term for us.

{J. S. Woodall, W. A. Woodall, R. H. Hill} Trustees.

————————

New Livery Stable.

Mr. J. A. Davidson has opened a new Livery Stable on Main street, in the building erected by Messrs. Pierce & Doss for that purpose. He has stocked it with elegant new vehicles and fine saddle and draft horses, and will leave nothing undone to accommodate his customers. Call and see him.

————————

Source:  Crittenden Press. (Marion, Ky.) 1879-1907, August 16, 1894, Image 3 - Chronicling America - The Library of Congress.

[My comments are in brackets.]


<Prev> - <Next>