HON. WILLIAM J. STONE, M. C. The paternal and maternal grandparents of Mr. Stone came to Kentucky from Spartanburgh District, South Carolina. The former, Caleb Stone, with his family in 1806, and the latter, William Killen, with his family in 1802, both located in Fredonia Valley, in Lyon County, where Mr. Stone and many others of their descendants still reside. Leasel Stone was four years old when his father, Caleb, moved to Kentucky. He was reared on a farm and eventually became a large land owner. He was united in marriage with Nancy Killen, and with her was a member of the Baptist Church; his death occurred January 11, 1872. His widow survived until November, 1877. They were parents of six children, of whom two were sons, viz.: Caleb (whose sketch is published) and Hon. William J. Stone, who was born June 26, 1841, at the homestead where he now resides. He received a thorough school training at the schools of the neighborhood and at the Cadiz Institute. At the beginning of the late civil war, he assisted in recruiting several companies and enlisted in 1861, under Capt. Wilcox, First Kentucky Cavalry; was under Gen. Forrest at the battle of Fort Donelson, and was with that part of his command which escaped before the surrender under the same general; he was in the battle of Shiloh and the retreat to Corinth. After exchange of prisoners taken at Fort Donelson, the company to which he belonged was reorganized and attached to the Eighth Kentucky Infantry, of which Mr. Stone was made orderly-sergeant, and with his company did duty in northern Mississippi five months; while stationed there with others, was but a few moments too late to take Gen. U. S. Grant a prisoner at Holly Springs—the General having just evacuated the place. After five months his company was transferred to the 5th Kentucky Cavalry, and placed under Col. D. H. Smith, and participated in the battles of Chickamauga and Missionary Ridge; was with the celebrated John Morgan during his raid into Indiana and Ohio, and with Morgan at the time of his capture in Ohio, but he (Mr. Stone) escaped. June 11, 1864, Mr. Stone was made a captain by John Morgan on account of his proficiency in army tactics and valiant conduct in battle. The next day at Cynthiana he was wounded in the leg, while on a charge inside the Federal lines, and was taken prisoner. He lay in the Federal hospitals three months, it having become necessary to amputate the limb. While Mr. Stone speaks highly of kind treatment by the Federals, it was due to the skill of a Confederate surgeon, permitted with the Southern wounded, that he attributes his recovery, after being given up to die. In May, 1865, Mr. Stone was paroled and returned home, making his home thereafter with his parents, the other children having married and left. In 1867 he was elected a member of the State legislature, and was active in bringing about a conciliatory policy between the two sections late at war; was again elected to the State legislature of 1875-76, and was elected speaker of the house over Hon. J. W. Carney of Louisville, who was supported by the Hon. Joseph Blackburn, Henry Watterson, Col. Adams, et al. In 1883-84 he again represented his district in the same body and was chairman of the Committee on Penitentiaries, and secured the passage of a bill establishing a branch penitentiary, and to prevent the contracting and hiring of convict labor outside the prisons; he used his strong personal influence in this behalf and to secure the location of the penitentiary at Eddyville. In 1884 Mr. Stone was elected a member of the Forty-ninth congress of the United States, defeating the Hon. Oscar Turner, who had served three terms—defeating the Hon. Judge Trimble, Maj. Tice and John R. Grace. At the nominating primary election he received 2,750 votes out of a little over 3,000 cast, still his opponent, Mr. Turner, ran as an independent candidate. Mr. Stone was elected by a plurality over Mr. Turner of 3,063 votes and over Mr. Houston, the Republican candidate, of 3,287. October 29, 1867 Mr. Stone was united in marriage with Cornelia Woodyard, daughter of Thomas B. and Susan (Wetzel) Woodyard of Cynthiana, Ky. This union has been blessed with two children, both girls, Sadie and Willie, both at home. Mr. Stone is a Baptist, in which church he is clerk, and has been moderator or presiding officer of Little River Association for two years. Mrs. Stone is a Methodist.


Source:  J. H. Battle, W. H. Perrin, & G. C. Kniffin. Kentucky. A History of the State. Louisville, KY, Chicago, IL: Battey, 1885. Pages 865-866.