WILLIAM C. O'HARA. James O'Hara, who came from Ireland in an early day, settled at Pittsburg, and was the first manufacturer of glass. He sent back to Ireland and brought out subject's grandfather, John O'Hara. The latter left Pittsburg and came to Princeton, Ky., conducted a tanyard and became magistrate and sheriff of the county under the old constitution of the State. He also lived in Eddyville a while, and accumulated a good deal of land, negroes, etc., and was locally very prominent. He was a man of thorough education and scholarly attainments. William C. O'Hara was born June 16, 1851, in Eddyville, Lyon Co., Ky., a son of Reuben and Mary A. (Lyon) O'Hara. The father was an attorney at Princeton, Caldwell County, finally permanently located at Eddyville, Lyon County, and was the first county attorney for Lyon County after it was formed. Giving up the practice of law he engaged extensively in mercantile business with his brother-in-law, James N. Gracey; while refusing public office he was still a strong Democratic partisan, and a leader in polities, and about the close of the war, September 8, 1864, he was shot and killed (while in citizen's dress), by Federal soldiers in the streets of Eddyville. In life he was a member in high standing of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and a prominent Mason. There were six children, all of whom are dead but William C. One of the daughters married F. A. Wilson (see sketch), and another married Gen. H. B. Lyon (whose sketch is also given). William C. was given all the advantages the schools of Eddyville afforded, and was then sent to Russellville, where he finished the junior year. At eighteen years of age he was compelled to leave school on account of his health failing. After returning home he went into the mercantile business with his brother James for two years, during which time he employed himself studying law, and later entered the practice, which he continued six years. His health again failing he retired from practice. He was elected school commissioner for four years from 1876, and for three years was deputy sheriff and master commissioner under J. O. Holloway. In January, 1883, he was sheriff one year by appointment; in January, 1884, was again appointed sheriff, which office he still holds.
Source: J. H. Battle, W. H. Perrin, & G. C. Kniffin. Kentucky. A History of the State. Louisville, KY, Chicago, IL: Battey, 1885. Page 862.