An Interesting War Record by F. S. Loyd,
of Fredonia, Lieutenant Company H.

Part 2 of 11

7th of June at 10 a. m., marched two miles to the left, went into camp, weather very warm and beautiful.

Wednesday June 8th, remained in all day, weather warm and fair.

Thursday, June 9th, at 8 o'clock a. m., left camp, marched two miles, some skirmishing, some rain and some sunshine; very warm.  Heavy cannonading on our left.  As we were building our breastworks George Turner, Co. I, was shot in the head and killed.  During the night the Rebels shelled us.  One shot fell in our regiment, killing Seargeant Curd, Co. B.  Rained all day.

Saturday June 11, rained hard all day.  George Pendergrass, of Co. H, was wounded in the head and afterward died.  Very heavy cannonading on our left.

Sunday June 12th, rained all day; worked on our breastworks in the evening.

Monday June 13th, still raining and rained all day, very muddy.  Some skirmishing in our front.

Tuesday June 14th, heavy cannonading on our lines, heavy skirmishing in our front.  We could see the Rebs leave their works.  We advanced and captured their works, also capturing several prisoners.  At 4 o'clock p. m. we moved to the right two miles and build breastworks out of rails and logs; beautiful day.

Wednesday June 15th, heavy cannonading on our left.  Some skirmishing in our lines.  Sun shining very warm. Nice day, mud drying up fast.

Thursday June 16th, beautiful morning, heavy cannonading on our left.  7 o'clock p. m. marched one mile, built breastworks, heavy skirmishing in our front.   Some few men wounded; a nice day.

Friday June 17th, moved one mile, heavy cannonading on our right and left.  Drove the Rebs from their works several miles, one man killed and one wounded in the 27th Ky.  Heavy cannonading in our front.  Built breastworks and remained in them until next morning.

Saturday June 18th, heavy cannonading still going on.  William H. Morse, Co. H, 20th Ky., wounded in the arm between Lost and Kennisee mountains.  Heavy rainfall today.

Sunday June 15th, still raining; 2 o'clock p. m. left camp, marched through very thick mud, wading Hill's creek waist deep 100 yards wide.  Heavy rain all day; heavy cannonading on our left.  Camped in the woods at 9 o'clock p. m.  Men wet; made fires to dry our clothing.

Monday June 20th, remained camp all day, cannonading still going on.  Some rain today.

Tuesday June 21st, remained in camp all day, cannonading still going on.  Rained hard all day.

Wednesday June 22nd, at 10 a. m., left camp and marched four miles, build breastworks during the evening.  Our brigade had a hard little fight with the Rebs there.  They were handsomely repulsed, killing 1,000 and taking a number of prisoners.  14th Ky. lost 40 men killed and 60 wounded.  Beautiful day.

Thursday June 23rd, beautiful morning.  7 o'clock a. m., moved one-half mile and made work, remained half an hour and moved forward and slipped on the Rebs and got within 200 yards of their works.  Made breastworks, men not allowed to make any noise.  Heavy cannonading on our left.  Rebel balls falling like so much hail.  Rebels killed the day before still lay on the ground not buried.  Beautiful day.

Friday June 24th, beautiful morning, skirmishing still going on.  Reuben Stinett, Co. K., killed, John Coatney, Co. K, wounded.  Still remained in camp all day.

Saturday June 25th, skirmishing still going on, balls falling thick and fast and all day heavy fighting on our left.  Very warm day.  Henry Gomley, Co. A, wounded through the thigh, still remained on our works and skirmishing with the Rebs.

Sunday June 26th, very warm, two men wounded in our regiment belonging to the 19th Ohio Battery.  No casualities in our regiment.  some cannonading on our left.  Moved and built breastworks after dark, working all night hard.  No sleep in our regiment.

Monday June 27th, still worked on breastworks.  Peter Brown, Co. B. wounded through the arm.  Abraham Ensey, Co. B, killed by a ball which took effect in left breast, and Peyton Tabor wounded by a shell.  Heavy cannonading in our works.  Eight guns working all day.  Very warm.

Tuesday June 28th, skirmishing still going all day, balls falling thick and fast.  Joseph Shaw, Co. F, wounded through the thigh.  His pocket knife was shot through his left leg.  Very warm; no breeze stirring today.

Wednesday June 29th, skirmishing still kept up.  Young E. Jennings wounded in the head.  Three of the 19th Ohio Battery wounded, one killed.  Zack Brown, Co. B, wounded in the thigh, still lay in our breastworks, not allowed to show our head above our works; very warm all day.

Thursday June 30th, skirmishing still kept up all day.  Heavy cannonading still going on.  Jasper Powell, Co. A, killed; shot through left breast at 8 o'clock p. m..  We were ordered to move to the right.  Marched until 12 o'clock that night when we laid down in the woods and slept the remainder of the night.  Very warm.

Friday July 1st, marched four miles to the right; there we came up with the Rebels, drove them three miles after had skirmishing.  Sergeant William Yates, Co. H, was wounded in the right leg.  Moved up into an old field, halted and build breastworks, worked all night making work; no sleep, very warm day, several men receiving sunstroke; very dry.

Saturday July 2nd, remained in camp until 11 o'clock a. m.  We were ordered to the left, moved half a mile, lay on our arms, Rebels shelling us too hot to stay.  Moved back to the rear about 300 yards, build breastworks, worked all night; very warm.

Saturday July 3rd, remained behind our breastworks all day.  Some cannonading in our front, heavy skirmishing, weather very warm; Rebels retreating toward the river.

Monday July 4th, remained in our works all day, heavy cannonading and skirmishing in our front; weather very warm, nice level country.

Tuesday July 5th, remained behind our breast works.  Some cannonading.  At 10 o'clock a. m. we were ordered to be ready to move at a moment's warning.  Moved to the right two miles, halted and got dinner, turned back and moved to our same works where we had left that morning; weather very warm.

Wednesday July 6th, beautiful morning, ordered to move at 6 o'clock a. m.  Started at the time and moved to the right and then moved forward, crossing Nigger Jack river, marched up on the hill, stopped to rest, remained half an hour, then we continued our march, marching through the strongest Rebel works I ever saw, crossing the Railroad Ruffs station fifteen miles from Atlanta, Ga., remained all night; very warm.  Day cars came down and went on down the road.

Thursday, July 7th, remained in camp all day.  Some heavy cannonading on our right; very warm all day, men could hardly stand it.

Friday July 8th, ordered to move at 4 o'clock a. m.  Struck tents and took up our line of march and marched six miles, crossing Soap Creek, and at 10 o'clock p. m., after marching in the night, very dark, we camped in an open field one-fourth of a mile from the Chattanooga river.  Men were allowed to go and wash, very warm day all day.

Saturday July 9th, laid in camp all day; no fighting of any consequence today.  Sun shone hot all day.

Sunday July 10th, remained in camp all day.  At 3 o'clock p. m. it rained very hard; all quiet in our front; very warm.

Monday July 11th, at 10 o'clock a. m. we received orders to move; then orders came to draw three days' rations.  At 2 p. m. we took up our line of march, crossing Chattanooga river and marched two miles and camped on Hilton Ridge.  It rained all night.  All quiet in our front.

Tuesday July 12th, at 6 o'clock a. m. we were ordered to send seven companies out on a foraging expedition, and three to remain on picket.  Remained out all day.  Some rain; afternoon very warm; all quiet in our front.

Wednesday July 13th, cloudy in the morning, looked very much like rain.  Remained in camp all day, very warm day; all quiet in our front; no skirmishing to be heard today.  Did not know what to think about it being so quiet in our front.

Thursday July 14th, at 6 o'clock we received orders to march; moved about three miles to our left, camped and were ordered to remain until further orders.  Very warm, heavy rain late in the evening.  All quiet in our front.

Friday July 15th, remained in camp all day; cloudy and looked very much like rain; heavy rain late in the evening.

Saturday July 16th, remained in camp all day, cleaned quarters, set tents in proper order.  All quiet in our front.

Sunday July 17th, at 6 o'clock a. m. we were ordered to be ready to move with a moment's warning.  Marched two miles, halted, threw up breastworks.  Some skirmishing in our front and some cannonading in our front; very warm.

Monday July 18th, ordered to march at 6 o'clock a. m.  At 6 it was countermanded and we remained in camp, and in about a half an hour we were ordered to march at 8 o'clock.  We left the camp, marched 10 miles.  Beautiful country and fine farms, passing a new railroad that the Rebels had not finished.  Camped on the bank of Peachtree creek.  Very warm; some skirmishing in our front.

Tuesday July 19th, at 5 o'clock we received orders to move, and marched, crossing Peachtree creek and marched seven miles, had a right smart skirmish with the Rebs.  Went into Decatur, Ga., after night.  Smart little fight with the Rebels on leaving the work they burned their supply train consisting of about forty wagons loaded with provisions and munitions of war; also burning the depot.  They left a large house filled with tinware made for the C. S. A., which we captured; also a large lot of sacked corn marked "C. S. A.," which was distributed among the different brigades in the 2nd division.  We tore up the railroad and afterward the 15th, 16th and 17th corps came in and we moved to the right, camped in an old field; very warm day.  Looks like rain, some cannonading in our front.

Wednesday July 20th, at 5 o'clock we received orders to move.  Marched off in front of our brigade, moved four miles, halted, ate dinner, then moved about a half mile, formed line of battle, marched through the worst thicket I ever saw, marched thro' three companies of our regiment, sent out as skirmishers, marching driving the enemy about three miles and ran them out of their works, capturing three companies of the Rebs.  Heavy fighting in our front, right and left.  Very pleasant evening.

Thursday July 21st, soon in the morning we moved up, taking position within two hundred and fifty yards of the Rebs works.  Could see them plain, and we threw up strong works and held them.  Martin Girts, Co. H, 20th Ky., wounded in right breast.  Booth Alexander, Co. C, 20th Ky. shot through both arms, serious.  Walter Lisby, Co. I, through the shoulder.  Jasper Sutherland, of Co. G, wounded in the side, serious.  Thomas Brookshire, Co. D, slight.  Thomas Fitzgerald of Co. B, killed.  Frank Coleman of Co. K, wounded in right side, serious.  Capt. Harnmon of Co. D, 27th Ky., wounded in left leg, afterward amputated; laid in our works all day after we got them done.  Company H was sent out on picket and remained all night.  Heavy rain in the evening, very warm.

Friday July 22nd, at 2 a. m. we were ordered, (that is, the skirmish line) forward to feel the enemy.  Moved in the Rebel's works and laid until daylight.  Ordered forward, skirmishing with the enemy and drove them about two miles.  At 5 o'clock we (my company) was ordered to join the regiment, which we did and marched, out eating no breakfast.  Came upon the enemy's works, laid under heavy shelling from the fort that was in the edge of town (Atlanta).  We laid in sight of Atlanta, Ga., under three guns, all day.  About 3 o'clock the Rebels made a desparate charge and were repulsed on the right and the left, leaving their dead and wounded on the field.  Gen. McPherson was killed; Lieut. J. W. Hale, Co. D, 20th Ky., wounded by shell in left arm; Abe Daughtry, Co. G. 20th Ky., killed by a shell; Newton Pace, Co. D. 20th Ky., wounded in arm by shell.  Heavy cannonading all along the line.  Very warm.  At 2 o'clock we were ordered back to build works, working all night; nothing to eat.  The wagons could not get to us.

Saturday July 23, cannonading still going on, heavy fighting on our right.  Laid on our works all day.  No casualities in  our regiment today.  Heavy fighting on our right all night.  Beautiful weather, though warm.  Some rain in the evening.

Sunday July 24th, cannonading still going on, but no regular engagements.  Strengthening our works; worked all day.  Very warm.

Monday, July 25th, still lying in our works; cannonading very heavy; skirmishing still going on.  Thomas Emerson, Co. A, killed.  Moved to the rear and built breastworks.  Some rain after night.  Beautiful day, but warm.

Wednesday July 27th, at 7 a. m. moved back to our works, finished our works, laid in them all day.  Heavy cannonading all along our lines.  Very warm.  some rain in the evening.

Thursday July 28th, laid in camp.  At 2 o'clock the Rebels opened their artilery on us and kept it up for half an hour, shells falling all over our regiment.  Sergeant Curd of Co. K, wounded in the foot.  Heavy fighting on our right, said to be 4,000 killed.  Heavy cannonading all day and night.  Very warm day.

Friday July 29th, at 6 o'clock we were ordered to be ready to march and guard a wagon train to the river.  Marched two miles, halted on the right hand side of the road and remained half an hour.  Marched twelve miles and halted on the bank of Nancy creek and ate dinner and remained two hours.  Another train of wagons loaded came along and we marched with them guarding them; marched until 12 o'clock that night.  Very dark.  Returned to our old camp; men worn out.  Very warm; some rain.

Saturday July 30th, remained in camp all day. Cannonading and skirmishing very heavy all day and night.  Very warm.

Sunday July 31st, laid in camp all day.  Very quiet in the morning; rain in the evening.  Heavy cannonading and skirmishing late in the evening and kept it up almost all night.

Monday August 1st, still lying in our works.  Heavy cannonading going on.  At 6 o'clock p. m. we were ordered to move.  We marched and stood on the road until 12 o'clock.  Very dark and muddy.  Our artilery could not get up the hill and we had to halt for the night.  Rain in the evening; very warm.


(Continued in Next Issue.)


Source:  Crittenden Record-Press. (Marion, Ky.), October 5, 1911, Edition 2, Image 6 - Chronicling America - The Library of Congress.

<Prev> - <Next>