An Interesting War Record by F. S. Loyd,
of Fredonia, Lieutenant Company H.

Part 3 of 11

Tuesday August 2, at 6 o'clock we were ordered to move, marched to the right.  About 10 o'clock we passed the 4, 14, 15, 16 and 17th corps and taking position on the extreme right, drove the enemy a short distance; halted on account of night.  Very warm all day.  Built breastworks all night.  About 12 o'clock it commenced raining and kept it up until day.

Wednesday, August 3rd, laid in camp until 12 o'clock when we received an order to be ready to move in three quarters of an hour.  Marched about half a mile and came upon the enemy and drove them about one mile, capturing all their skirmish line and officer of the day.  Crossing a large creek at a water mill we moved on the hill and laid on our bellies in line of battle and the Rebel battery commenced playing with eight guns on us and bursting their shells right in our midst for two hours.  Fortunately no one was badly wounded in our regiment.  We laid under this shelling until dark when we were ordered to build breastworks.  Moved up about thirty yards and went to work.  Worked all night.  Made good strong works.  Rained very hard in the evening.  J. W. Coach, Co. F., wounded in shoulder.  Very warm afternoon.

Thursday, August 4th, laid in camp all day.  Men not allowed to stick their heads above breastworks.  Heavy cannonading and shells bursting in our regiment, tearing nearly all our tents to pieces, killing several men belonging to other regiments.  Gen. Scofrilds, Topographical engineer, was killed; John Cook, Co. B, 20th Ky., was killed by a shot about 5 o'clock.  Our battery got up the hill and got in position, opened on the batteries and soon silenced them.  So they did not disturb us at night.  We slept on our arms expecting an attack by them being so quiet.  Very warm.

Friday August 5th, laid in camp all day.  Heavy cannonading going on all day, shells bursting in our quarters.  Sergeant James Swing, Co. I, wounded in left arm, slight.  Shell struck a tree, bursting and wounding Lieutenants Waller and Loya, slight.  Cannonading lasted all day and all night.  We kept a man on the works on the lookout.  When he saw smoke in the day or flash at night he would hollow lay down! and we did not have to be told the second time.  Very hot.

Saturday August 6th, ordered to be ready to move at 4 o'clock a. m.  Marched to the right and formed line of battle and made a charge on the Rebels and drove them from their works.  Heavy fighting on our left.  Several killed and wounded.  We took several prisoners.  Heavy cannonading, shells bursting all around us and over us.  Rained all evening, men wet, rations short.  We moved back about 200 yards and built breastworks, working all night; men very wet and cold.

Sunday August 7th.  My company, (H) went out on picket at 12 o'clock.  We received orders to move forward, taking the Rebels works and following them up, skirmishing with them all the way.  They were very stubborn and hard to get on the run.  We drove them about a mile and a half and were halted and ordered to hold our position at all hazzard if it took all of our men.  Heavy fighting just on our left.  Remained on this ridge until Gen. Cox's division came and occupied the works we had made.  We were then ordered to go to our regiment.  Found them in the Rebel works that we had taken charge of and laid in them that night.  Very warm all day and night.


(Continued in Next Issue.)


Source:  Crittenden Record-Press. (Marion, Ky.), October 12, 1911, Edition 2, Image 2 - Chronicling America - The Library of Congress.

<Prev> - <Next>