An Interesting War Record by F. S. Loyd,
of Fredonia, Lieutenant Company H.

Part 6 of 11

Tuesday September 6th.  At 8 o'clock we halted after a hard night's march.  We camped in an old field where we had camped before near the railroad; got breakfast, remained in camp all day and night; rained very hard all day.  Cool at night.

Wednesday September 7th, at 8 o'clock we started on our march [under?] a heavy rain, marching Haynes church and graveyard, making fourteen miles today.  Nice day.  Halted and camped in an old field; very warm and cloudy.

Thursday September 8th.  Orders to be ready to march at 6 o'clock.  Marched out and crossed a large creek, passing seven horses marked "C. S. A." that the Rebels had abandoned.  Camped in the edge of Decatur, Ga.  (The writer has some leaves he got at this camp.)  Marched seven miles, pitched tents and went into camp.

Friday September 9th, laid in camp all day.  My company went out on picket.  Nice day, cloudy and cool.  Cleared off in the evening.  Moon shined at night.

Saturday September 10th, laid in camp all day.  Laid off works and worked some on them but did not finish them.  Cool and pleasant all day.  Beautiful moonshine nights.  F. M. Benton, Co. H, returned to his company and regiment.

Sunday September 11th, general inspection in the morning, beautiful day, no work on works today.  I worked on my pay roll all day.  Nice moonshine nights.

Monday September 12th.  General inspection today.  Worked on our breastworks in the evening and until eight o'clock at night.  Pleasant in the day but cool at night.  Moon shined bright.

Tuesday September 13th, laid in camp all day.  Finished our works and worked on my pay roll and books today.  Cool and pleasant.  Moon shines bright.

Wednesday September 14th, at 6 o'clock we received orders to march down to the city of Atlanta, Ga., stack arms and the men allowed to go through the city.  Remained in town all day, marched out in the night.  Pleasant cool weather.

Thursday September 15th, laid in camp all day; nothing of importance transpired today.  We cleaned off our camp ground.  Very cool for the time of year.

Friday, September 16th, moved our tents into new quarters and worked on our quarters all day.  Beautiful day, cool and pleasant.  Bright moonshiny nights.

Saturday September 17th, laid in camp all day.  I worked on my receipt and clothing books all day.  Beautiful day; cool and pleasant.

Sunday September 18th, laid in camp all day; no inspection on account of rain; no duty of any kind.  I worked on my books all day.

Monday September 19th, laid in camp all day.  Drill in morning, in the evening by battalion.  Looked like rain.  Cool and pleasant.

Tuesday September 20th, drill in the morning two hours, battallion drill in the evening.  Rained all day slow, also at night.

Wednesday, September 21st, laid in camp all day.  No drill today.  I worked on my books all day and until 12 o'clock at night.  Rained all day and night.

Thursday September 22nd.  Still laid in camp all day.  No drill on account of rain which lasted all day and all night.

Friday September 23rd.  Drill in the morning; no battallion drill in the evening on account of rain which lasted all day.

Saturday September 24th.  We drilled in the morning, cleaned quarters and strengthened our works.  Dress parade in evening.  I was on guard today.  All quiet, cool and pleasant.  Wind blew cold at night.

Sunday September 25th.  Still laid in camp.  Drilled in morning and evening.

Monday September 26th.  Still laid in camp all day; nothing to do.

Tuesday September 27th.  Laid in camp.  Drilled in morning and evening.

Wednesday September 28th.  Still laid in camp; cloudy but not much rain.  Drill in the evening.

Thursday September 29.  Still laid in camp.  I went on picket.  The corporal let a lady pass through the lines and I was put under arrest and sent to camp for the first time in life.  Rain in the evening.  No drill.

Friday September 30th.  Still lay in camp.  Drill in the morning.  No drill in the evening, rain and windy.  Dress parade in the evening.

Saturday September 31st.  We laid in camp all day.  No drill in the morning.  Drill in the evening.  Dress parade in the evening.

Sunday October 1st.  Still lay in camp all day.  Drill in the morning.  Dress parade in the evening.  Order came to be ready to march at 6 o'clock a. m.  Men shouted.  Tired of lying in camp.

Monday October 2nd.  Broke up camp and marched out to South river or Flat Sholes, crossing South river in the evening.  The rear guard was attacked by some Rebel cavalry and drove in, killing one and wounding others.  Arrived at camp with several wagon loads of corn and cotton, making a march of thirty miles, men tired and sore feet.

Tuesday October 3rd.  Order to move.  Broke up camp, everything ready to move at daylight.  Did not leave; order came to put up tents and remain until further orders.

Wednesday October 4th.  At 6 o'clock we were ordered to move.  Marched hard all day and until 11 o'clock that night.  Roads very muddy.  we had to help all of the wagons and artillery up all the hills, crossing Pigeon creek, Brush creek and several others; crossing Chattahoochee river and camped for the night on the bank of the river, making a march of sixteen miles.  Men tired and sore feet.

Thursday October 5th, resumed our march very early and marched all day; rained hard all day.  Passing through Marietta, Ga., and camped at the foot of Kenisaw mountains, making a march of twenty-two miles.  Rained all day.  Men wet and hungry.

Friday October 6th.  Marched very early, marching through the mud and rain all day, halting at the foot of Pine mountain for dinner.  Five companies of our regiment were ordered to the front for scouting purposes, crossing Hill's creek and several others, making a march of nineteen miles today.

Saturday October 7th, marched at daylight, pressing the enemy to Lost mountain and returned to our camp we left in the morning, capturing several prisoners, making a march of ten miles.

Sunday October 8th, marched at 3 o'clock, four miles to Achawatt.  There we were detached from our brigade to guard an ammunition train, marched to Big Shanty after night and back to Ackworth, then to Altoona, halted at 10 o'clock in the night, crossing Clinton creek, making a march of twenty-eight miles.

Monday, October 9th, marched at 1 o'clock p. m., passing thro' Altoona, Ga., and were there ordered to join our brigade back at Altoona for the night, making a march of eight miles.

Tuesday October 10th, marched from Altoona back to Cartersville, Ga., fifteen miles; went into camp; got supper and were ordered back to guard the train about one mile long; crossing Ettawa river, passing through Cartersville, Ga.


(Continued in Next Issue.)


Source:  Crittenden Record-Press. (Marion, Ky.), November 2, 1911, Edition 2, Image 6 - Chronicling America - The Library of Congress.

<Prev> - <Next>