February 5, 1903
Near Dycusburg---Old Haunts of the Red Men.
Up the Cumberland river, between Dycusburg and the mouth of Livingston creek the relic hunter can find a rich field for investigation. The mouth of the creek was evidently once the favorite camping ground of the red man, and an important point for the manufacture of such rude weapons as were used by the Indians. Great deposits of flint exists in the hills near by. Large pieces of flint and broken arrow heads and tomahawks are yet visible and near by is a large mound. It has been partially explored, but only such utensils as were used by the Indians were found. The mound is probably two hundred feet in circumference, and gradually rises to the h[e]ight of about thirty feet in the center. Those who partially explored the big mound were country folks of that section possessing too much superstition to carry out their undertaking. The mound is located on the Smith farm and today the secret of its interior are well preserved.
Near by is a graveyard, located in a river bottom field. For years the farmers in charge have raised fine corn in the graveyard. It was only a few years ago that the plow began to disturb the bones of the red men, who had probably been reposing there for centuries.
The coffins were constructed of thin, flat limestone which had been secured from a large bluff nearby. The bones were well preserved. The teeth especially were firm and as white as pearl. The weapons of deceased were found in their coffins.
Other Indian burying grounds have been found in that section, clearly indicating that it was the headquarters of some one of the great tribes.
A residence is built over one of these graveyards. Several skeletons were discovered while making excavations for the foundation and it is very likely that the bones are yet lying under the house or about the yard. The family who occupy the residence knew that the graveyard was there before the workmen made the grewsome discovery.--Cumberland Courier.
Source: Crittenden Press. (Marion, Ky.) 1879-1907, February 5, 1903, Image 2 - Chronicling America - The Library of Congress.
[My comments are in brackets.]