GEORGE W. PERRY

GEORGE W. PERRY, county superintendent of schools, Crittenden County, was born February 19, 1854, in Sumner County, Tenn., and is a son of George W. and Eliza D. (Moore) Perry, both parents natives of the same State. Mr. Perry's grandfather, Thomas Perry, was a native of either Tennessee or North Carolina. He was a farmer, and died in Sumner County, Tenn., in 1864, George W. Perry, Sr., was born in Tennessee, and was a tailor. He worked at his trade in a number of towns, and died in 1860, aged forty years. Subject's maternal grandfather was Robert Moore, a native of North Carolina. He moved to Tennessee many years ago, and later came to Kentucky, settling in Caldwell County, where he died in 1858 or 1859. Subject's mother died in 1862. She was the mother of four children: W. T., G. W., J. B. and William H. (deceased). Our subject was early in life bereft of his parents, after whose death he made his home with the family of J. W. Stegar until his twenty-first year. He attended the common schools of the country several years, and later entered the Marion Academy, where he remained two years. In 1876 he became a student of the Fredonia High School, conducted by Prof. J. H. Hughey, under whose instruction he remained several terms, and afterward attended the Oakland Academy in Crittenden County one session. After quitting school he engaged in teaching in Crittenden and Caldwell Counties, which profession he followed eight years. In October, 1882, he was elected school commissioner of Crittenden County, and in 1884, on the repeal of the above office, he was elected county superintendent of schools, which position he now fills. Mr. Perry is an able and practical educator, and under his management the schools of Crittenden County have made substantial progress. He was married January 7, 1885, to Alma S. Mayes, who was born August 17, 1862, and is a daughter of W. T. and Helen M. Mayes.

 

Source:  J. H. Battle, W. H. Perrin, & G. C. Kniffin. Kentucky. A History of the State. Louisville, KY, Chicago, IL: Battey, 1885. Page 735.