J. H. HILLYARD
J. H. HILLYARD is a native of Caldwell County, Ky., and a son of J. J. and Margaret (Watson) Hillyard, both of the same county and State. J. J. Hillyard was born in 1809, and is still living in Caldwell County. Margaret Hillyard was born in 1807, and died in 18--. J. J. and Margaret Hillyard were the parents of eleven children, whose names are as follows: Macklin M., deceased; Finis E.; deceased; Mary J., deceased; Martha E., wife of John D. Parr; Cornelia A., deceased, Josiah W.; Francis M.; Mary B, deceased, Henry C., deceased; J. H., and Margaret E. deceased. J. H. was born May 14, 1849; he received a good education in the common schools of Caldwell County and Cumberland College, Lebanon, Tenn., and at the age of twenty-one engaged in the mercantile business at Fredonia, where he remained two years. In 1876 he came to Marion, and opened a drug store, which he has since run. He has the most complete store of its kind in Crittenden County, his stock representing a capital of between $4,000 and $5,000. Mr. Hillyard was married December 24, 1874, to Miss Alice F. McIntire, daughter of John and Mary (Gordon) McIntire of Greenville, Ky. Mr. and Mrs. Hillyard are the parents of four children, viz.: Nannie Pearl, John Manning and James H. Their second child, James Guy, is deceased. Mr. Hillyard held the position of postmaster of Marion for a period of two years, and at the end of that time resigned. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, K. of H., and belongs to the Presbyterian Church.
Source: J. H. Battle, W. H. Perrin, & G. C. Kniffin. Kentucky. A History of the State. Louisville, KY, Chicago, IL: Battey, 1885. Pages 731-732.