JAMES A. GLENN was born October 28, 1856 in Caldwell County, Ky., and is a son of David B. and Lucinda (McCarrell) Glenn, nee Threlkeld. David B. Glenn was a native of Caldwell County: his father, Samuel, was a native of Georgia, and in the prime of life settled in Livingston County, Ky., and for many years was prominently connected with the public affairs of the county. David B., was a farmer and died in 1861, a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, of which his widow is also a member. Mrs. Glenn's maiden name was Threlkeld; her first husband was Mr. McCarrell; he died leaving one child; her second husband was Mr. Glenn, to whom she bore six boys and two girls—four boys now living; she was Mr. Glenn's third wife and the mother of James A., who was reared on a farm in Caldwell County, and attended the district schools at Bethlehem, Caldwell County, where by close application to study, and a course at the Kentucky Normal School at Carlisle, he secured a thorough business education. At twenty years of age, he began for himself, teaching school in Lyon County. He taught continuously for nine years until 1881. The last three years, he taught in the city schools of Kuttawa. In 1881, he formed a partnership with A. J. Conant in Kuttawa, in the commission business, continuing until January, 1884, when he sold out and opened his present hardware and grocery establishment. May 16, 1883, he married Lou Wilson, daughter of Alexander Wilson, Sr., and Perlina (Guess) Wilson, of Caldwell County. Alexander Wilson is now engaged in agricultural pursuits; he came from Scotland at eighteen years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Glenn are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. He is a member of the K. of H., Kuttawa, and in politics affiliates with the Democratic party.
Source: J. H. Battle, W. H. Perrin, & G. C. Kniffin. Kentucky. A History of the State. Louisville, KY, Chicago, IL: Battey, 1885. Page 854.