JOHN W. JACKSON was born September 15, 1815, in Bourbon County, Ky., and is the fifth child in a family of eight children born to Thomas and Ann (White) Jackson. The parents were both natives of Lonisa County, Va. They were married in Virginia, and came to Kentucky about 1808, and settled in Bourbon County, where they resided seven years; then came to Caldwell County, where John W. now resides. He was about the first to settle in the Fredonia Valley; he opened a farm from the timber and was fairly successful in his agricultural pursuits. John W. Jackson was reared on the farm, and given fair educational advantages, working in summer and attending school during the winter. His father died in 1833, when he was seventeen years of age. John W. Jackson the next year took charge of his mother's business and continued with her until 1844, when she died, since which he has been in business for himself. In 1843 he bought 160 acres of land where he now lives, and which was partly improved. He owns 300 acres of land. He set out an orchard of 300 trees, built a fine residence and out-buildings, etc. In 1840 he married Jane A. Adamson. Of this union there are now living, Sarah L., wife of Samuel McElroy; Charles W. and Fannie A., wife of William Koon. There are some deceased who reared families, of these Isabella, who was the wife of James White, left two children; Mary J., wife of M. G. Young, left five children. Mr. Jackson's second wife was Agnes, widow of R. C. Groom, nee White. His present wife is Sarah E., widow of E. B. Hamilton, nee Buckner. She is the mother of five children: Emma, wife of W. N. Billington; Maud M. wife of C. S. Jackson; Thaddeus B., Elealsor P. and Alex L. Mr. and Mrs. Jackson are members of the Missionary Baptist Church, in which he is a deacon; he has been a member since 1834, He was formerly a Whig, but now a Democrat. On temperance he stands with the anti-liquor cause; at one time he was a member of the Washingtonian Temperance Society, and lent his influence to building up the cause in this part of the country. He is now seventy years of age, well-preserved in mental strength and fair bodily vigor, although he has been an invalid a good part of his life. C. W. Jackson, son of J. W. Jackson, was born February 2, 1850, in Lyon County, on the father's homestead. He was afforded such advantages for an education as the neighborhood schools provided, and attended three sessions at Russellville. In January, 1875, he married Virginia Rice, of Caldwell County. They have three children, as follows: Virginia B., Sarah E. and William R. Jackson. Mr. Jackson and wife are Baptists. He owns 156 acres of finely located land in Fredonia Valley, and has 130 acres under cultivation, on which he raises all varieties of farm produce. He built a fine cottage residence in 1878.
Source: J. H. Battle, W. H. Perrin, & G. C. Kniffin. Kentucky. A History of the State. Louisville, KY, Chicago, IL: Battey, 1885. Page 855.