U. G. WITHERSPOON
U. G. WITHERSPOON is among the oldest native born residents of Livingston County. He is a son of George and Martha (McClure) Witherspoon; both parents are natives of North Carolina. The father was born in 1776, and was a son of James Witherspoon, who came to America from Ireland in the above year. James Witherspoon enlisted in the American army some time after his arrival in this country, and served under Washington during the war for Independence. He died in 1837. George Witherspoon remained in North Carolina until his thirty-second year, when he immigrated to Kentucky, and settled in what is now Crittenden County, where he died in 1844. Subject's mother was a daughter of John McClure, also a native of Ireland. He came to America many years ago, and died in North Carolina in 1825. Mrs. Witherspoon was born in 1785, and died in 1845. Subject is the fourth of a family of seven children. He was born April 27, 1814, and remained with his parents until his twenty-second year, when he moved to Mt. Vernon, Ill., and engaged in the mercantile business, which he continued three years. He then moved to Washington County, Ill., and engaged in farming, and two years later came back to Crittenden County, Ky., and located on the old home place, where he has since resided, and which he owns. Mr. Witherspoon was married May 23, 1838, to Susan Johnson, a daughter of Lewis and Frankie (Stone) Johnson, of Jefferson County, Ill. Fourteen children have been born to this union, viz,: Amzi, deceased; Sofina, wife of Thomas Griffith; Caroline, deceased; George, deceased; Ellen, wife or Z. Terry; Joseph T.; Rufus; Mattie; Annie, wife of William Terry; the other children died in infancy. Mr. Witherspoon was elected magistrate of his district in 1868, and served a term of four years. He is independent in politics, voting for the man rather than the party. Mr. and Mrs. Witherspoon are members of the Presbyterian Church.
Source: J. H. Battle, W. H. Perrin, & G. C. Kniffin. Kentucky. A History of the State. Louisville, KY, Chicago, IL: Battey, 1885. Page 740.