W. T. MAYES, one of the oldest native residents of Crittenden County, was born March 19, 1817, and is the youngest child of George and Mary Mayes, both parents natives of South Carolina. Mr. Mayes' grandfather, James Mayes, was a native of Pennsylvania, and a soldier in the war of the Revolution, having served in Washington's army during that struggle. He died at Spartansburg, S. C., many years ago. Subject's maternal grandfather, James Elder, was also a Revolutionary soldier; he was born in South Carolina, in an early day came to Kentucky, and settled in what is now Crittenden County, where he died about 1817. George T. Mayes, subject's father, was born in South Carolina, in 1773. After his marriage to Mary Elder, he immigrated to Tennessee, where he remained one year, and in 1798, came to what is now Crittenden County, locating the farm on which subject now lives. He died in 1847. Subject's mother was born in 1770, and died in 1833. They reared a family of ten children, only two of whom are living: George T., Jr., and W. T. (subject). W. T. Mayes, early in life, chose the vocation of a farmer, which he has since followed. He commenced farming on the old home place, which he afterward purchased, and to which he has at various times since added other tracts of land, and now owns a beautiful and fertile farm of over 300 acres. He has been a very successful farmer and stock raiser, and is esteemed as one of the county's most substantial citizens. He was married October 17, 1849, to Helen M. McCarter, daughter of William and Mary (Young) McCarter, of Livingston County. Mr. and Mrs. Mayes have reared a family of seven children. Mary L. (deceased), Mattie (deceased), George (deceased), Alma, William, Richard and Lena. Mr. Mayes has been a member of the Republican party ever since its organization, and during the war was a warm friend of the Union. He and his wife are both members of the Presbyterian Church.


Source:  J. H. Battle, W. H. Perrin, & G. C. Kniffin. Kentucky. A History of the State. Louisville, KY, Chicago, IL: Battey, 1885. Page 734.