An Interesting War Record by F. S. Loyd,
of Fredonia, Lieutenant Company H.

Part 5 of 11

Saturday August 27th, at 2 o'clock a. m. orders came for us to take down our tents and send them back to the rear, and we laid in our works with our arms in hand expecting a charge from the enemy every moment.  At dark we moved back to our new works and remained all night.  Very warm day; cool night.

Sunday August 28th.  At 7 o'clock we received orders to be ready to move with a moment's warning.  Struck tents, marched three miles and halted, cooked dinner, marched another three miles and camped near monongihalia church.  Camped in the woods at nine o'clock; very dark marching; beautiful weather and good roads.  Very warm day.

Monday August 29th, laid in camp until 10 o'clock.  We drew rations, marched in front of our division, marched three miles and camped on a hill near Gen. Scofula's headquarters, built breastworks and remained for night.  Very warm days but cool nights.

Tuesday August 30th.  At 6 o'clock we were ordered to be ready to move at a moment's warning, but did not go until 12 o'clock.  Moved out to the right and marched about four miles and camped in an old field near the railroad, built breastworks and remained in them after we got them done about 25 minutes.  Moved down on the Montgomery & Atlanta railroad, camped in an old field.  Very warm all day.

Wednesday August 31st.  At 4 o'clock received orders to move out without any breakfast.  Moved to the right and stopped in an old field and then moved out by the right flank.  Stopped for dinner and about the time the men got dinner half done, we received orders to fall in ranks.  Marched seven miles and took two lines of the Rebels works they built.  We remained in them all night.  Some heavy fighting on our right.  Very warm.

Thursday September 1st.  Orders to move at 3 o'clock.  Struck tents and were ready to move to the right.  Moved up to the Atlanta & Macon railroad and tore it up, burning everything, ties and rails.  Moved down the road tearing up the track as we went and destroyed the rails and everything that belonged to it.  Came up to Rough and Ready Station, halted for a few minutes for the 4th corps to pass.  We marched on up the road, left the road and marched through an old field; marched through the thickest woods I ever saw.   The troops marched through them back to the old field and massed our division in a small field and remained all night.  Heavy fighting on our right and in the direction of Atlanta, about fourteen miles.  Very warm all day.

Friday September 2nd.  At 8 o'clock we were ordered to march.  Moved out south, crossing Flint river, a nice little stream.  Came up to the Rebel hospital where there were a great many wounded and dead lying in the woods, without any tents or any sheets.  Marched on crossing a little stream.  I did not learn the name.  We marched on up to the 4th corps.  Had a very heavy little fight.  Marched on until 9 o'clock in the night.  Very dark.  The army of Tennessee had a hard fought battle, taking 12,000 prisoners and ten pieces of artilery, also all the dead and wounded fell into our hands.  Heavy rain nearly all day; men very tired and hungry.  Halted for the night after eighteen mile march.

Saturday September 3rd.  At 4 o'clock a. m. it commenced raining, rained very hard all day.  At 3 o'clock p. m. we were ordered to move.  We moved about fifty yards, formed a line and built breastworks and remained there all night.  Heavy picket fighting all day and night.  Some cannonading.  Several shells passed over our regiment but no one hurt.

Sunday September 4th, laid in camp all day after we got our tents set in proper order.  Inspection of arms and ammunition in the evening.  Some shells passed over us; one bursted, but no one hurt.  Beautiful day, cool nights.

Monday September 5th.  I went out on picket early in the morning.  Very warm until 4 o'clock when it commenced raining and rained as hard as I ever saw.  The rebels commenced to shell us at 8 o'clock p. m.  We struck our tents and marched back toward Atlanta, marching all night through the rain and the muddiest roads I ever saw.  Some of the men got into mud up to their hips.  Marched on until about 3 o'clock.  Our artilery could not get up the hill.  Men had to help the teams with long ropes.  We halted in the road and lay down without orders and went to sleep and remained in the road until daylight then starting out on our march without any breakfast.


(Continued in Next Issue.)


Source:  Crittenden Record-Press. (Marion, Ky.), October 26, 1911, Edition 2, Image 2 - Chronicling America - The Library of Congress.

<Prev> - <Next>